Thursday, December 27, 2007

Rice and Beans


I love how nutritious and yummy rice and beans are. I know lots of people who turn their nose up at beans, because I used to be one of them. Since cutting out meat I find I rely on beans to provide the protein I am missing in my diet.


I have found that an easy way to cut cost and time is to keep a supply of cooked rice in the fridge at all times. I can be used for stir fry, in soups, and as a side dish.


A quick dish using left over rice and canned black beans follows.


Rice and Beans - Quick and Dirty


2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup black beans
dop of olive oil
Diced Onion,
(peppers, tomatoes, corn ect)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
dash cayenne
dash oregano
Salt and Pepper


Saute the onion in the olive oil first. When soft add the veggies (if you don't have any, don't include them). Cook until tender crisp. Then add the beans and rice. The measurements are random, if you don't have that much rice, add less, same with the beans. Then add the spices. If the mixture is a little dry, put a few tablespoons of water in to help coat the spices on the rice.


Cook until heated through.


This can be eaten as a side dish, or used to fill enchiladas, put on pizza or nachos. Salsa and sour cream are good companions.

No comments: