Sunday, December 16, 2007

Shepards Pie

When I decided to try a meatless Shepard's pie I thought lentils would be the solution. They are brown, and crumbly like ground beef.

Since my husband isn't quite on the vegetarian bandwagon yet I made half with the traditional beef.




Lentil Shepard's Pie


3/4 cup lentils (or less)


potato's (cooked mashed for topping)

brown gravy mix **
olive oil (about a tbsp)

onion

Worcestershire Saucecan or frozen corn


~~~~~~~~
Procedure:

Boil lentils for about 20 min. While that is cooking dice the onion and saute in the oil. When lentils are soft, strain and add to onion. Now put in the gravy package Add the appropriate amount of water. Usually between 1 and 1/2 cup. Add worcestershire sauce. Cook until gravy is thick.
Put lentil mixture in bottom of a casserole dish and top with corn, then mashed potatoes. Make fancy designs in the mashed potato with a fork, then sprinkle with paprika.
Cook in a 400 degree oven until heated through.
** The dried gravy package I used didn't show any "meat" in the ingredients, however I am sure some could have been hidden in there. If your hardcore check, if not don't worry.




~~~~~~~
This was my first time cooking lentils. I give the recipe 3/5, it was good but not excellent. I could have used more gravy mix (only half the package was used since the other half was in the ground beef) The lentils were a little starchy. I found mixing the mashed potatoes with the lentils, then adding hotsauce and katchup pumped it up to a 4/5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I think you should try cooking with some actual flavours. Try some herbs and spices, rather than gravy mix, and then you may not feel the urge to eat meat anymore. http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/recipes/srcpl3.tdf?0

Dawn said...

I would think that it would be better if you used more veggies with it. Carrots, Mushrooms, etc.

While I'm not a vegetarian, I do try to keep my meal intake to a minimum. My shepard's pie recipe Includes worcestershire sauce, veggie broth, carrots, Onion, Mushrooms, zucchini topped with mashed potatoes. I usually add some roasted garlic to the potatoes before mashing them.