Thursday, January 17, 2008

The light

I walk around the grocery store and think to myself. Why did I spend so many years buying this pre-packaged crap? I'll tell you why, it's because I worked 55hrs a week, I was always tired and wanted something quick for dinner, and something even quicker to throw in my lunch bag.

Now I walk through the grocery store and my cart has next to nothing pre-packaged. Fresh fruits, and vegetables. My collection of vinegars, oils, flours and dried beans grows every week. The last meat I bought was a box of frozen fish filets, and a bag of frozen shrimp. Food I can keep in the freezer for when hubby is home and needs animal to be satisfied.

I had chicken at a resturant yesterday, only because the alternatives were too enriched and fatty to be concidered "good vegetarian" food. I skipped the fries and had salad with my wrap. I felt good the rest of the day.

My grocery list becomes more refined. I am finding I need less food in my cart to feed me longer.

I will attempt to stop buying bread, in favor of making it myself. Then maybe pasta, but that seems like a lot of work when a very healthy alternitive is found dried in a box.

This summer I will can my own tomatoes and be able to cut out buying pasta sauce, and salsa. I will have a freezer full of veggies for the winter, so I won't have to go to mexico to have zuchnni in my stirfry.

I will make all my own baby food. I have always felt that the baby should eat what hubby and I are eating. It's healthier and just as easy to liquify left over dinner into baby food and freeze as it is to open a jar. Cheaper too.

I like being aware of what I eat. I am a stay at home mom to be. My job is to make healthy food for my husband and baby. I have never loved a job more than this one.

1 comment:

Joylinn R said...

crap. i tried this and compy went wonky on me....


one more time.............


invest in a few more icecube trays. as fruits and veggies come into season, puree and freeze them in there. it works as a sort of 'portion' size. as baby gets bigger, you add more.

i did this with emma and it worked like a charm.

just be sure to have medium and large ziploc bags on hand and a sharpie to be able to store and label. :)

cant wait to talk to you more.

Joylinn xoxo