Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Pad Thai

The easiest dish to make if you have pre-made pad thai sauce. I haven't attempted home made yet, but will let you know if I do. Usually this rice noodle dish has chicken and shrimp, but is easily made vegetarian with the addition of veggies and or tofu.

I like to make a big wok full when I cook. I have yet to master the "cooking for two" mentality. All you need is a bunch of veggies, some dried rice noodles and sauce.

My version goes something like this.

Vegetarian Pad Thai

1 onion chopped
1 head of broccoli chopped
1 or 2 carrots sliced
1 zucchini chopped
1 pepper chopped
bean sprouts

1/2 package rice noodles
pad thai sauce

Boil water for the noodles, Start with the onion in a heated wok with some oil. Cook until almost soft then add the carrots. I put a bit of water now to help steam and cook the carrots. When starting to turn bright orange I add the broccoli and zucchini. I cook covered for a minute, adding a bit more water. Then the pepper and bean sprouts.

Usually the bean sprouts are served raw, but i like them cooked better.

If everything works out your noodles will go in around the time that the broccoli does, that way they will be cooked at the same time. Add the noodles to the veggies and mix sauce in. To be fancy, serve with chopped peanuts, and lime wedges.


enjoy!

No comments: